Kotak Securities Review
Kotak Securities is a leading bank-based full-service stock broker in India. Since its inception, the broker has been offering a wide range of investment and trading services through its various financial offerings to its clients.
It is an active participant with depositories like the NSDL and the CSDL. Check out this detailed Kotak Securities Review to know about its brokerage charges, demat and trading account, Trading platforms, IPOs, margins, offers & more.
Founded in the year 1994, the stock broker has come a long way by offering diverse financial products to its clients. Whether you want to trade in stock markets, invest in IPOs, Mutual Funds or Currency Derivatives employing online or offline modes, Kotak Securities has it all at your disposal.
Kotak securities boasts of three-in-one account which enables investors to open demat account, trading as well as a bank account in association with Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited. One can open those account separately or at the same time under one umbrella by filling up a single application form. Using 3 in 1 account, clients won’t need to manually transfer money to trading account from the bank account.
Kotak Securities has:
- 59 lakh customer accounts
- Over 5 lakh trades per day
- 1281 branches, franchisees, and satellite offices
- 377 cities across India
Some of the major awards won by the Kotak Securities include:
- Best Broker by Finance Asia Country Awards, 2019
- Gold at ACEF for Email marketing & successful use of technology
- Silver at ACEF for Data driven marketing & successful of technology
- Bronze at IAMAI, 2018 in the category “Best Omni Channel Campaign Management and Marketing automation”
- Awarded “Early adopter of Analytics” at Machine learning conference 2018 for using Analytics extensively in client management
- Award for Highest AUM in ETF category awarded by Kotak AMC
- Best Brokerage India 2018 – by Triple A Asset Country Awards in the Best Advisors South Asia Category
- Best Retail IPO Bidding Member, 2018 by NSE
- NSDL Star Performer Award in category “Top Performer in New Accounts Opened – (Non- Bank) – 1st Position 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
The membership details of Kotak Securities are given below.
|BSE||INB 010808153/INF 011133230|
|MSEI||260808130/ INB 260808135/INF 260808135|
|Registered Address||27 BKC, C 27, G Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (E), Mumbai 400051|
Process to Open an account at Kotak Securities
Kotak securities boasts of three-in-one account which enables investors to open demat, trading as well as a bank account together with Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited. One can open those account separately or at the same time using a single application form. Using 3 in 1 account, clients don’t need to manually transfer money to trading account from the bank account. The required funds get credited automatically. This makes its management a lot easier. Once the account is open, investors can choose to trade in Equity, IPO, Mutual Fund, ETF, Tax free bonds, Currency Derivatives, Gold ETF etc.
Kotak Securities Open Account
- Fill online Contact Us form on Kotak Securities web site. Enter your name, phone number, email address, city and submit the form. Once you submit the form, one of Kotak securities representative will get back to you.
- Download the forms from their website, fill in the required details, and courier it to their registered office.
Kotak Securities Account Opening Charges
|Account Opening charges||Rs.0|
|Annual maintenance charges (AMC) : Trading account||Rs.0|
|Account Opening charges (Demat account)||Rs.0|
|Annual maintenance charges (AMC) : Demat account||Rs.50+Gst per month|
Here is a list of documents that are required to open an account with Kotak Securities:
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Bank statement of last 6 months
- Passport sized photograph
- AMC Fees
- Trading Account Check
Kotak Securities – Types of accounts
Kotak offers different types of account as per user’s requirement:
AutoInvest is one of its kind of Online Trading Account which allows invest to plan their investment in Gold ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds), Equities and Mutual Funds. Gold ETFs refer to mutual fund schemes under which the collected money is invested in standard gold bullion.
Kotak’s advisor provides the recommendation according to investor’s risk competence and investment plans. There is a minimum investment cap of Rs 5000 for AutoInvest account.
- Kotak Gateway
Kotak Gateway account discloses up the gateway to a landscape of investing opportunities for novices. Kotak Gateway users can trade anywhere, anytime with the help of internet. The call and trade facility is also available at Kotak. Investor can also trade Currency Derivative using this account.
Kotak Securities offer SMS alert, research report, free news and market updates from time to time to the account holders. The most salient feature of Kotak gateway is call and trade facility. Any person can activate Kotak Gateway account by choosing any amount between Rs 20,000 to 5, 00,000. This can be in form of cash deposit or the value of the shares you buy. Brokerage will be charged based on the account type. For intraday trading brokerage is .06% both sides for less than 25 lakhs and .023% for more than 25 crores.
- Kotak Privilege Circle
As its name suggests, Kotak Privilege Circle is basically the premium investment account provided by Kotak Securities. Together with Kotak Gateway account benefits, Kotak offers independent market expertise and full-fledged support through a devoted relationship manager and a special customer service desk which provides help in regard to account opening, day-to-day problems handling, and more. The circle provides KEAT premium which is an exclusive online tool that allows investors to monitor what is happening in the market and view their gains and losses in real-time basis.
One can activate Kotak Privilege Circle account by choosing any amount more than Rs. 10,00,000 as margin, by way of cash or stock. For intraday trading brokerage is .06% both sides for less than 25 lakhs and .03% for more than 25 crores.
- Kotak Freedom for Mutual Fund Investments.
- Kotak Super Saver, a Flat Brokerage and a Low Margin account.
- PMS (Portfolio Management Service), an account for individuals who look for an expert to help to manage their investments.
- NRI Account, an online trading an investment account for NRI investors.
- Trinity Account [3-in-1 Account]
Trinity Account is an integrated account that helps investors relish the advantages of an Online Trading Account, Bank Account, Demat Account on a single platform for your securities transaction. This account gives convenience of fund transfer and online trading.
Kotak Securities Brokerage Plans & Charges
|Parameters||Trade Free Plan||Trade Free Max Plan||No Brokerage Plan|
|What it is?||A simplified brokerage plan that lets you enjoy ZERO brokerage on intraday trades across all segments and much more.
|Trade Free Max lets you enhance your buying power upto 4x with Margin Trading Facility at a very competitive interest rate.||A plan where you pay ZERO brokerage on all trades across segments if you are under 30 years of age.
|Suitable for||Packed for both traders and investors||Clients leveraging their investments through Margin Trading Facility||For anyone below 30 years of age|
|Account Opening Fee||Rs.499 FREE||FREE||FREE|
|Subscription fee||Rs. 499+GST (One time)||Rs. 2499+ GST (Annual)||Rs. 499 + GST (Annual)|
|Intraday Brokerage||FREE (All segments)||FREE (All segments)||FREE (All segments)|
|Equity Delivery||0.25% or Rs.20 whichever is higher||0.25% or Rs.20 whichever is higher||FREE (All segments)|
|Carry forward (All applicable segments)||Rs.20 per order||Rs. 20 per order||FREE|
|Margin Trading Facility||12.49% p.a.||8.75% p.a. (subject to change with notice)||12.49% p.a.|
|Stock used as margin for derivative trades||16.99% p.a. (applicable only on non-cash collateral limits used above 50% of the total margin requirement)||16.99% p.a. (applicable only on non-cash collateral limits used above 50% of the total margin requirement)||16.99% p.a. (applicable only on non-cash collateral limits used above 50% of the total margin requirement)|
|Brokerage Cashback||NA||Upto Rs.4,128/- for 90 days on all trades post 1st MTF trade||NA|
|AMC||Rs.50 per month||Rs.50 per month||Rs.50 per month|
Kotak Dealer Assisted Plans
|What it is?||This plan gives you a dedicated dealer to discuss, plan and strategize your investments. The dealer can also act as your financial advisor and assist you in managing your portfolio.|
|Account opening fee||499+GST (One time)|
|Equity options||Rs.39 per lot|
|Currency futures||Rs.9 per lot|
|Currency options||Rs.5 per lot|
|Commodity Options||Rs.39 per lot|
|Minimum Brokerage||Rs.21 per executed order subject to ceiling of 2.5% of contract value|
Kotak Securities Trading Platforms
Kotak Securities has primarily 5 different trading platforms that allows investors and traders to trade across various devices. These platforms include a Trading terminal, a mobile app, web trading and lighter versions of their trading softwares. Let’s take a detailed view at each of them below.
- Kotak Securities Browser Trading Application
This is a browser-based trading application by Kotak Securities that allows its investors to trade right through the broker’s website. There is no need to download or install any specific software to kick off trading as it is a cloud-based trading application. A user just needs to enter his login details and he can start trading right away.
Its major features include:
- Access to various securities across exchanges
- Place buy/sell orders using multiple order types
- Live streaming of quotes and other market information
- Invest in IPOs, Mutual Funds and Bonds etc.
- View and check your portfolio
- Check real-time Profit/Loss on your positions
- Access to different types of reports
- Transfer funds and place payout requests
- Access Kotak University- an online knowledge hub to gain insights about stock markets, trading & Investments
- KEAT Pro X (Desktop Trading Terminal)
Kotak KEAT Pro X is a free-of-cost, user-centric and high-speed online trading software. This desktop application can be downloaded on a desktop or a laptop to perform trading across BSE, NSE and NSE currency markets. The big features of the KEAT Pro X trading platform are-
- One platform to trade across multiple securities and multiple exchanges
- Place buy/sell orders at high speed using shortcut keys
- Live quotes from BSE, NSE & NSE currency markets.
- Availability of key market data like market lots, top gainers/ losers, indices (Sensex, Nifty), most active scrips etc.
- Develop customized watchlists with scrips across exchanges and track in real-time
- Charting tools with technical pointers and historical data
- Get livestock recommendations from the research experts
- Kotak Stock Trader
The Kotak Stock Trader is basically a mobile-based trading application. It comes free for all Kotak online trading customers and non-customers. Non-customers can choose to download the app and sign in as a guest user to access its various features. The Kotak Stock Trader mobile trading software allows detailed market inspection, gives live quotes, helps traders create watchlists and view intraday charts.
Key features of the Kotak mobile trading app are-
- Trade online anywhere,
- Buy and sell securities across BSE and NSE
- Check your investment portfolio in real time basis
- Access to live streaming quotes and stock market data
- Access to intraday charts, view intraday and EOD movements for any scrips on in the form of candlestick, line or OHLC Charts.
- Create personalized watchlists
- Transfer Funds from your bank account into trading or mutual fund account
- Check Margin, available funds and limits etc.
- Receive notifications and alerts
- Kotak Securities Xtralite
This web-based trading application is meant to be used by users with a relatively slower internet connection or from remoter areas of the country. The lighter version of the application enables the users to trade at impressive speed without encountering the issue of slower internet connectivity. The application allows investors to trade in Equity and derivative trading segments.
Some of the features of this application are:
Excellent responsiveness across devices including mobile, desktop, laptop or tab
Order watch and placing order features
Get market research reports to make sound trading and investment decisions
5. Kotak Securities Fastlane
Kotak Securities Fastlane is developed for traders who are relying on an outdated, slow computer. The Kotak Fastlane is a light and fast trading application developed utilizing the Java technology. It even works on computers where installing .exe files is not allowed such as in office systems. It doesn’t need you to download or install any software. Key features offered by Kotak Fastlane are-
- Put buy/sell orders
- Check the market in real-time
- Create personalized watchlists
- Inspect your open positions
- Get stock suggestions
- Inbuilt list of S&P CNX NIFTY scrips streaming live, you can modify the list as per your needs
Kotak Securities Customer Care
The bank-based stock broker’s customer service is available through a number of communication channels including:
- Toll-free number
- Email support
- Web help
- Offline branches
Though the stock broker is available across a number of channels, there is huge scope of improvement for the broker in terms of quality. For example, the lack of personalization in customer service delivery is clearly visible in the way their customer care executives respond to any query. It looks like they read a preset script which lacks any kind of bonding.
Moreover, the broker can also define specific timelines to different types of queries, thus, developing a sense of trust among the client base when it comes to the turnaround time of raised concerns.
Kotak Securities Pricing & Charges
Kotak Securities is one of the most high-cost stock brokers in India on all fronts including account opening, maintenance, brokerage charges and others. If you are looking to begin with a higher upfront deposit and/or looking to have a better turnover on the stock market, it is suggested that you negotiate to the best extent and get yourself a lucrative deal from the broker.
Account Opening Charges
|Trading Account Opening Charges (One Time)||₹750|
|Trading Annual Maintenance Charges AMC (Yearly Fee)||₹0|
|Demat Account Opening Charges (One Time)||₹0|
|Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges AMC (Yearly Fee)||₹600|
Kotak Securities Demat Account Charges
|Sr. No.||Account Head||Rate||Minimum Payable|
|1||Dematerialization||Rs.50/- per request and Rs.3/- per certificate|
|2||Rematerialisation||Rs.10/- for 100 shares||Rs. 15/-|
|3||Debit Transactions||0.04% of the value of securities||Rs. 27/-|
|4||Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC)||Rs. 50/-per month for Resident Indian|
|5||Pledge Services||0.05% of the value of securities||Rs. 30/-|
|6||Invocation of Pledge||0.04% of the value of securities||Rs. 30/-|
|7||Charge for Client Master change intimation||Rs.25/-|
Kotak Securities Transaction Charges
|Equity Delivery||0.1% (Buy and Sell)|
|Equity Intraday||0.025% (on Sell trade)|
|Equity Futures||0.01% (on Sell trade)|
|Equity Options||0.05% (on Sell trade premium) or 0.125% (on options)|
|Commodity||0.01% on sell side|
Kotak Securities Margins
The exposure or margin details of Kotak Securities are mentioned below.
|Equity Delivery||100% (1x)|
|Equity Intraday||Upto 10x|
|Equity Future||100% (1x)|
|Equity Options||100% (1x)|
|Currency Future||100% (1x)|
|Currency Options||100% (1x)|
|Commodity Options||100% (1x)|
Kotak Securities IPO
Kotak Securities offer Online IPO Application to clients who have Trinity account, the 3-in-1 account with Kotak or trade online through Kotak. A majority of IPOs at BSE and NSE exchanges are available on web to Kotak Securities customers.
How apply in IPO with Kotak Securities
Kotak offer just a single way to apply in an IPO. Kotak customers who has Trinity account can apply IPO’s online through Kotak Securities website.
Option to call customer service to apply in an IPO or visiting Kotak Mahindra Bank branch is not available.
- Visit Kotak Securities website and click on LOGIN TO TRADE box.
- Login to your trading account
- Click on Place Order >> Primary Market >> IPO
- Choose ASBA, IPO, Category and click on Accept button.
- Fill in the quantity and price and click on Place Order button.
- On client detail page, mention your age in years and click Submit button.
- Make sure sufficient funds are available in you Kotak Mahindra saving bank account. If not, transfer the funds and click the Submit button.
- Check the confirmation “Your bid has been received for processing by Kotaksecurities.com. Your Kotaksecurities.com internal reference number is XYZ.“
Once you submit the online IPO form, Kotak Sec will do the remaining formalities related to submission of your IPO form using the Power of Attorney issued by you at the time of account opening.
Kotak Smallcases is basically a 3rd party investment tool which is also available at several other stock brokers such as 5paisa, Zerodha etc. A smallcase is a portfolio or a oiik of stocks and ETFs built around a pattern, concept or strategy. It is made up of 2 to 50 instruments. Key features of the smallcase platform are-
- Option to pick from 55+ different smallcases
- 4 smallcase type options such as thematic, model-based, sector trackers and beta
- Choose smallcase as per your risk profile- conservative, moderate and aggressive
- Create your own personalized smallcase
- Invest in just a single click
- Track smallcases on-the-go
- SIP facility
Kotak Securities NRI Bank Account
Kotak securities NRI account (NRI 3-in-1 account) includes a Trading, Demat and Kotak Mahindra Bank NRI Saving Bank Account which aims at offering a hassle-free investment experience to its clients.
Kotak Securities NRI Services Benefits
- Part of reputed Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Offers NRI 3-in-1 account for hassle-free trading experience
- Global Branch offices in New York, London, Dubai, Singapore, and Mauritius
- Access to next-gen trading platforms and tools
- The dedicated research team and advisory help desk
- Place orders online or on phone or even via chat
- A dedicated relationship manager
- Option to invest in IPOs, mutual funds, etc., along with trading in stocks and derivatives
Kotak NRI 3 in 1 Account (Trinity Account)
Kotak Securities offers a 3 in 1 account (Trinity Account) to NRI investors to facilitate smooth trading. The Kotak 3 in 1 account NRI includes:
- NRI Trading Account (NRE or NRO)
- NRI Demat Account (NRE or NRO)
- NRI Bank Accounts (PIS or Non-PIS)
The Conclusion – Kotak Securities Review
In terms of trust, Kotak Securities is one of the pioneers in the industry. Even, Kotak Bank has bee considered among the most trusted banking service providers in the country and this legacy continues in the stock trading space.
Due to its excellent research and trading platforms, Kotak Securities has carved a niche in the stock broking domain.
However, customer service is one aspect that asks for high levels of improvement. If this is done, Kotak Securities would have no match in the market.