Last updated on: June 26, 2023
Edelweiss Capital Services Limited is a full-service broker, and a part of the world-renowned Edelweiss Group.
The Edelweiss Group is one of India’s top-performing diversified financial services company and offers an extensive range of financial products and services to a considerable and expanded client base that includes corporations, institutions and people. Edelweiss’s products and services range from multiple asset classes and consumer segments across domestic and global topographies. Check out this Edelweiss Review to know more about it.
The group has substantial existence in large retail sector through its businesses such as Life Insurance, Housing Finance, Mutual Fund and Retail Financial Markets including Stock Broking. Go through this Edelweiss Review to know everything about Edelweiss capital.
The group has
An asset base of ₹ 59,400 Cr
Revenue FY 18 – ₹ 8,623 Cr
Offices – 475
Locations – 200
Team – 11,938
Client base – 12 Lacs
Edelweiss Capital Services Limited was launched in the year 1995 to empower Indian traders and investors to leverage the momentum of Indian stock market.
Edelweiss offers investment advice supported by research and analysis to its customers across asset categories, trading patterns and time horizons. Edelweiss has the best trading platforms available for all types of users (Mobile app, a website & desktop trading software). All trading platforms are pretty good& easy to use, with Edelweiss Mobile Trader app being the highest rated app in India.
Edelweiss Capital allows its clients to perform trade & investment across various financial entities including:
- Currency Trading
- Gold ETFs
- Mutual Funds
- Edelweiss PMS
Since its inception, the full-service stock broker has established a network of sub-brokers and franchise of nearly 4300. This gives a clear competitive edge to the broker on offline front.
Edelweiss has bagged several awards for its services and use of technology. Some of the big awards won by the broker in recent times include ABP BFSI Awards 2017, National Digital Marketing Awards, 2017 and Best Broker in India at Finance Asia (Hongkong) Country Awards 2016 and BBC Knowledge.
The membership details of Edelweiss Capital Securities are given below.
Process to Open an account at Edelweiss Capital
Edelweiss has 3 types of account types that cater to the diverse needs of the traders& investors.
1.Standard Brokerage Plan
A full-service brokerage plan which includes customized service for customers.
2.Advance Subscription Prepaid Brokerage Plan
It is a full-service brokerage plan for high frequency traders. Under this plan, the customers need to pay a rough amount upfront for 12 months. This plan has services like local relationship manager, extremely higher leverage, research, trading calls and comparatively low brokerage fees.
3.Discount Brokerage Plan for Online Trading*
This online trading plan is for client who search for low cost trading platform and need extremely low level of help from the broker on regular basis. This plan offers equity trading at low brokerage fee of 0.01% for equity (delivery & intraday) and Rs 5 per lot for F&O.
*Applicable to chosen clients & subject to change without prior notice
Edelweiss is known to have both online and offline account opening process. You can use it to open a trading and demat account from almost any location.
Edelweiss Online Account Opening (Instant Paperless Account)
There is an option to open a trading account with Edelweiss through its website or mobile app. The entire process is quite easy, and you need just a few minutes to apply for an account. All resident Indians and NRIs residing in GCC countries (Gulf Countries), Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the UK are eligible to open an account with Edelweiss.
It won’t more than 15 minutes to done with the process, if you have all the documents in place.
- Click on the Open an account button on the top menu of the website or from Edelweiss Mobile Trader app to begin the account opening process.
- Enter your E-mail ID
- Mention your PAN number and DOB for KRA verification
- Enter your name, address and mobile number. If you are KRA verified, the data will be prefilled.
- Enter the details of the bank you wish to link with the trading account
- Furnish other requested information such as education, occupation, etc.
- Confirm your brokerage plan
- Upload your documents. In case you are facing issues uploading documents then you can send the documents via WhatsApp or Email.
On the receipt of the documents, a company representative will contact you to do the in-person verification (IPV) as per the KYC (Know Your Customer) regulation.
(KRA – KYC registration Agency, maintains KYC details of an individual. If a person is KRA verified, it means his details are already saved with the SEBI/Registrar.)
Offline Account Opening (Paper forms)
In case you face problem in opening the account online, there is an option to open an account offline. The offline account opening process encompasses filling a form, attaching required documents and forwarding it to the company’s branch offices or couriering it to the company address. You can get the form from the company’s branch office in your city.
Documents needed for account opening
You would require below documents to open the trading and demat account:
- Proof of Identity – PAN Card (Mandatory Id proof)/ Aadhar Card/ Driving License/ Passport/ Voter Id
- Proof of Residence – Aadhar Card/ Driving License/ Passport/ Voter Id etc.
- Bank Account Details – Personalized signed cancel cheque or last 3 months Bank Statement or updated Passbook
- One passport size photograph.
Do keep in mind that additional document such as proof of Income may be needed if you like to trade in derivative segments.
Account Opening Charges
- Edelweiss Account Opening Charges (Trading Acct): ₹750
- Edelweiss AMC Charges (Trading Acct): ₹0
- Edelweiss Account Opening Charges (Demat Acct): ₹0
- Edelweiss AMC Charges (Demat Acct): Free (₹500 2nd year onward)
Edelweiss Capital Trading Platforms
Since it is already mentioned, the full-service stock broker leaves no stone unturned to provide great value to its clients. The broker is known to feature trading platforms to cater the diverse trading needs of its clients available on different devices.
Now, let’s look at the leading trading platforms provided by the stock broker.
- Edelweiss Capital Xtreme Trader
Xtreme trader is basically a terminal based trading platform by Edelweiss that needs to be downloaded and installed on their desktops or laptops. This platform is primarily meant for high frequency traders who look forward to trade most part of their day to day schedule and have a fixed computer just for this. Some of the salient features of the Xtreme trader are:
- Super-performance software with amazing response time.
- Shortcut keys can be customized as per the user’s preferences. This helps the user to bring down any kind of time wastage at important order placing settings.
- Research calls, reports and recommendations available and the user can set up easily.
- Customization and personalization of features enabled including shortcut keys, background colors, workspace widgets, alerts, and notifications etc.
- Interactive charts based on defined parameters get shown on the research calls.
- Availability of margin funding.
- Edelweiss Capital Traders Lounge
Traders Lounge is nothing but a browser-based trading platform by Edelweiss Capital. If you’ve a working internet connection, you can access the tool right on your web browser. There is no need of any kind of downloading and installing the software. The trading platform can be opened on most of the web browsers available today. Its main features include:
- Deeper insights into data, compare stocks, envisage trends into their technical comparison with all sorts of advanced features including live option chain, heat maps in place.
- A well-created user-interface with most of the appropriate information including market trends, charts, stock updates, charting, broker calls within a single screen.
- Besides market news, the tool also provides an overall market soppiness towards the news that can influence the stock value on either side.
- Edelweiss Mobile Trader App
Edelweiss Mobile Trader is one of the most commonly used mobile-based trading platforms today. It boasts of a number of features that add unprecedented levels of smoothness to trading activity. Some of its big features are:
- Detailed market information
- Live streaming data across exchanges NSE, BSE & MCX for all users for free
- Live news on the app before on TV
- Stock screeners available to filter stocks as per your defined metrics
- Advanced charting with over 17 Technical indicators and Drawing Tools
- Easy & Secure fund transfer facility along with UPI
- Prepare Customized watch list up to 100 stocks
- Monitor profit & loss of your open positions from anywhere
- Invest in mutual funds including tax saver ELSS funds from the same app
Edelweiss Capital Customer Care & Edelweiss Capital Review
The customer service of this full-service stockbroker is available on the following communication channels, as shown:
- Toll-Free Number
- Physical Branches
- Web Self-help & FAQs
Being a leading full-service stock broker, the expectations of broker’s clients are quite high in terms of trading performance and customer service.
Though the broker performs well on various fronts by meeting the diverse needs of its clients in a remarkable way, there are few concerns that its clients face. For example, the quality of the response provided by the broker’s customer service team is below par and needs to be improved significantly.
Edelweiss Capital Pricing
The brokerage charges and account opening charges by the stock broker are mentioned below.
Account Opening Charges
Edelweiss Brokerage Charges
Edelweiss is quite active in terms of its brokerage plans and ensure a potential client can make a choice of the plan as per his or her needs. It has separated its brokerage plans into Trader and Investor categories and within these segments, there are further separations based on the type of investor or trader a user is.
Edelweiss Brokerage Plan – Discount Brokerage Plan
Edelweiss Brokerage Plan – Prepaid Plan (₹12,000 for 12 months)
Edelweiss Brokerage Plan – Prepaid Plan (₹1,12,000 for 12 months)
Edelweiss Demat Account Charges
Edelweiss Capital Margins
Edelweiss Capital IPO
Edelweiss Broking doesn’t provide Online IPO Application services to its clients. You cannot apply in an IPO using the trading platforms of the broker. However, there are 2 options Edelweiss customers can choose to apply for an IPO-
- Submit an application at Edelweiss office
Edelweiss customers can apply for an IPO by collecting and submitting the IPO Application form at Edelweiss offices.
How to apply in an IPO through Edelweiss branch office?
- Visit the nearest Edelweiss branch and fill the IPO application form. You need to furnish information on No. of lots, price, ASBA account number and Demat Account Number etc.
- Submit the form at the branch office
- IPO application through ASBA
Edelweiss customers can also apply in an IPO’s using ‘Net Banking’ facility offered by their bank. A majority of banks including Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, SBI Banks, etc. are in the list of Self Certified Syndicate Banks (SCSBs). SCSBs are allowed by SEBI to accept online IPO applications.
The ASBA application process is easy and quick. You would need your banking details and Demat account details while applying for the IPO.
Steps to Apply in an IPO through ASBA
Following are the steps Edelweiss Broking customers need to take to apply in IPO’s using net-banking facility of their banks.
- Log in to your net banking account.
- The first time, you may be asked to register or activate your IPO services.
- Visit ‘IPO investment/ASBA’ section of the website.
- Choose your bank account from which you would like to invest in IPO. It will list all the active IPOs available for applying. Select the desired IPO.
- Fill the IPO details like price, number of lots and your DP details etc
- Confirm your details and Submit.
You will receive a confirmation from the bank for the successful submission of the application.
The selected shares (if any) will be credited to your Edelweiss Broking Demat Account. The shares will be ready for selling on the day of listing of the company in the exchange.
The total application amount for the IPO gets sealed in your bank account. Once the allotment is finished, the amount is debited from the bank account. The blocked money earns interest for the period for which it is blocked.
Guided Portfolio System
Edelweiss Broking features a long-term investment product known as GPS or Guided Portfolio System. This is basically a robo-advisory set up where the system asks you a few basic questions such as your investment capital, risk appetite and creates mutual funds SIP for your long-term investment plans.
To come up with these recommendations, the system scans through various data points and comes back with conforming solutions.
The Conclusion – Edelweiss Review
Edelweiss’s key points are its over 2 decades of industry expertise, a wide assortment of investment offerings, advanced trading platforms and research services.
Applying for an IPO using Edelweiss Capital can be sometimes difficult. One option is to use ASBA facility where the user is supposed to apply to public issues using their bank account. In addition, the user needs to provide the form and details like Applicant Name, PAN number, Demat account number, Bid quantity etc.
However, in terms of customer service, the broker needs to work hard as most of its clients are not happy with the overall response by their customer service department.