Motilal Oswal Review 2020
Whenever it comes to list down the top performing full-service brokers in India, Motilal Oswal will always remain a part of that list. Since its inception, the full-service broker has been winning the hearts of its clients by offering technology-led broking services in India.
Motilal Oswal is primarily known for its best-in-class trading applications, portfolio management offerings and prompt customer support. It is even one of the oldest stock brokers in India.
Established in the year 1987, Motilal Oswal Securities Limited (MOSL) is based out of Mumbai and offers a wide range of financial and investment services. The broker has diversified client base that includes retail customers (including High Net worth Individuals), mutual funds, foreign institutional investors, financial institutions and corporate clients.
Motilal Oswal is India’s first broker which offers 15 min, 100% paperless trading and demat account and its clients can get instant day account activation on receipt of application. There is a dedicated customer service team with a 6-hour query resolution TAT and its customer centric Risk Management System and real-time payouts and truly world-class.
Solid research is the parent based behind the emergence of Motilal Oswal Securities. Nearly 10% of revenue is invested in equity research. The company has focused teams for large-cap, mid-cap and technical research. It has created and published more than 30,000 research reports on over 260 companies spread across 21 sectors. From a fundamental, technical and derivatives research viewpoint, Motilal Oswal’s research reports have bagged extensive coverage in the media. It was awarded India ‘s Best Market Analyst Award for IT & FMCG sector by Zee Business.
The broker has:
- 30 years of wealth creation
- 10 lakh+ customer base
- 70K Crore+ depository assets
- 2200+ locations
Motilal Oswal is the 6-time winner Best Performing Equity Broker (National) by UTI-CNBC TV18 Financial Advisor Awards.
The broker is known to havea very solid research team. They invest almost 10% of their revenue on equity research. By 2017, they had 30 research analysts researching over 240 companies across 25-divisions. From research point of view, Motilal Oswal’s research reports are found to be very precise.
MOSL was discovered by Raamdeo Agarwal with trading and investing permitted across different financial instruments including:
- Share Market
- Wealth Management
- Retail Broking and Distribution
- Institutional Broking
- Asset Management
- Investment Banking
- Home Finance
- Private Equity
At present, MOSL group enables its customers to trade across:
- Derivative Trading
- Commodity Trading
- Currency Trading
- Mutual Funds
The membership details of Motilal Oswal are given below.
Process to Open an account at Motilal Oswal
Motilal Oswal offers 2-in-1 account (trading + demat account). Its customers have the option to open just the trading or demat account.
When it comes to trade in equity, commodity or currency, one needs to open a trading account with Motilal Oswal.
Motilal Oswal offers 2 simple ways to open a trading account:
- Online Account Opening
Motilal is perceived to be India’s first 100% paperless account opening process. You can open an online 2-in-1 account (Trading & Demat Account) in only 15 minutes. This is the simplest way toopen an account in the brokerage industry in India.
You just need to visit Motilal Oswal website and click on ‘Open an Account’ button and fill the online application.
Why open account online?
- Instant Account Opening- Open an account in just 15 minutes
- Ease- Transfer funds through Net Banking or Debit Card
- Secure- Its secure way to account opening
- Smart- If you have done e-KYC with some other financial firm, your KYC form gets automatically filled.
- Real Time Tracking- Fill or update account opening form anytime (24×7)
- Trade within 15 minutes of Account Application- Once the supporting documents are received, start trading in just few minutes.
- Visit Local Branch or Sub-broker Office
Motilal Oswal has large numbers oflocal offices (branch, sub-brokers and franchisee) in over 500+ cities across India. You can also open an account by visiting any one of them.
Visit the local branch or office of a Motilal Oswal sub-broker or give them a phone call. They will schedule a personal visit, demo and account opening for you.
Motilal Oswal Account Opening Status
If you have filled account opening form online, you can check the status at any time. Simply visit the account opening page.
For account opening form submitted with the branch office, please call your sales representative who helped you with filling the form or visit local MOSL branch.
Account Opening Charges
- Motilal Oswal Account Opening Charges (Trading Acct): ₹1000
- Motilal Oswal AMC Charges (Trading Acct): ₹0
- Motilal Oswal Account Opening Charges (Demat Acct): ₹0
- Motilal Oswal AMC Charges (Demat Acct): ₹299 (1st year free)
Motilal Oswal wants following documents from its clients who wish to open the trading and demat account:
- Clear photocopy of PAN Card
- Proof of Identity- Passport, PAN, Voter ID, Driving License etc.
- Proof of Address- Voter ID, Driving License, Passport, Ration Card, Attested Photocopy of Bank Passbook/Bank Statement
- Latest Bank Statement with IFSC/MICR Code
- Cancelled Cheque
- 2 Passport Size Photographs
Additional documents as proof of income may be demanded for trading in derivative categories.
Motilal Oswal – Trading Platforms
Motilal Oswal offers a wide range of trading platforms to cater the diverse needs of its clients available on various devices like desktop, tablet and mobile. The broker’s trading platforms allows investors and traders to carry out hassle-free trading across a range of devices. Its major trading platforms are:
- Motilal Oswal Desktop Application
Motilal Oswal’s desktop application enables a full-fledged trading experience to traders with unmatched speed, best-in-class features and easy access to research information. The application is suitable for those who look for faster trading execution without much hassle. Its major features are:
- Quick order execution with a 1-second refresh
- Next-gen charting features with 40+ technical signs
- Prepare multiple watchlists across stocks, derivatives etc.
- Trade guide Signal, a trend guiding tool that automatically suggests buy/sell ideas based on pre-defined technical rules
- Tick-by-Tick Action Watch to provide alerts when scrips are available at low prices
- Portfolio Health Check and Review Tools
- Access to research advice and trading calls
- Shortcut keys for quick trading
- Fund transfer from 60+ banks
This trading application is known for awesome speed and best-in-class user experience but at the same time, is a bit heavy as well. Therefore, in order toenjoy a consistent rich trading experience, it is necessary that your computer or laptop has good configuration.
- Motilal Oswal Trading App
It is basically an online trading app, that comes in in both desktop and mobile versions. It is especially designed for advanced traders. It offers a variety of advanced trading features and quicker access to insightful market information and tools to high-frequency traders. Some of its salient features include:
- A quick snapshot view of orders, positions and limits etc.
- Quotes with detailed information about the company
- Create and watch 4 multi-asset watch lists, include up to 50 scrips in a single watchlist
- Directly place orders from the watchlist
- Market screeners to determine trending stocks
- Buy/Sell stocks from the screeners
- Perform multiple orders at one go with bulk place order facility
- Access to Algorithm based products like Trade guide signal, Option Writer and Option dCoder
- Access to research advice on all asset categories
- Access to research coverage across 260+ companies across 21 sectors
- Define and manage alerts
- Quick fund transfer facility with 60+ banks
- Real-time news and information on markets and stocks
- Motilal Oswal Smart Watch App
At its already mentioned that broker has strong inclination towards technology, it has launched a smartwatch trading app that allows investors to do a host of things through it. Its major features are:
- Instant notifications on all important market updates
- Quicker info on global indices, top gainers & losers
- Check your portfolio ‘s net worth
- Check your mark to market (MTM) & open positions
- Know your margin in both cash & commodities segment
- Motilal Oswal Trade
The web portal application by Motilal Oswal is an easy-to-use trading platform for traders and investors who prefer to use browser-based applications. Some of its key features include:
- Providesan instant snapshot of the account in a single view including cash balance, positions, Order Status, portfolio performance across timelines, and Market data.
- Easy order form across asset categories with integrated market depth and advanced charts
- Enables flexibility of choosing the Mutual Funds one wants to buy or option to choose from expert references.
- Get detailed and insightful market information such as gainers/losers, most active stocks, top events, news and lots more across various asset classes combined with the trading portal.
Motilal Oswal Customer Ratings and Review.
The full-service stock broker provides customer service through a number of communication channels including:
- Offline Branches
- Social Media
Due to the presence of multiple customer service touchpoints, it is easier for clients to seek resolution of any query they come across during and after trading. Though the turn around time of the customer service team if quite acceptable, there is a scope of improvement for the tone of voice the team prefers to rest on.
The broker strives to maintain a great image on both online as well as offline touch points.
Motilal Oswal Pricing
Motilal Oswal has brought in a number of charges that its traders and investors are required to pay. Some of the big ones are account opening, maintenance charges, brokerage, transaction charges, stamp duty, taxes etc.
Account Opening Charges
- Trading Account Opening Charges (One Time) ₹1000
- Trading Annual Maintenance Charges AMC (Yearly Fee) ₹0
- Demat Account Opening Charges (One Time) ₹0
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges AMC (Yearly Fee) ₹299 (1st year free)
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Plan – Default Plan
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Plan – Value Pack (VP2KLT)
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Plan – Value Pack (VP1LACLT)
Motilal Oswal Margins
The exposure or margin details of Motilal Oswal are mentioned below.
Motilal Oswal allows its clients to apply for IPO in 2 ways:
- Apply Online through Website or Mobile App
Motilal Oswal customers features an option to apply for IPO shares online though its trading website or its mobile trading app. Online IPO Application is easy, simple and faster way of applying in IPOs at BSE and NSE.
In order to apply in an IPO online, acustomer needs to register for online IPO product. If he is not registered for online IPO, he can choose to visit a local branch and submit an application form. After successful registration, customer can apply for IPO’s online on Motilal Oswal website or using mobile trading app in just few clicks.
- Apply in IPO at Motilal Oswal Branches
Motilal customers can also choose to visit any the branch and apply in an IPO. Customer applying offline in the branch need to fill a ASBA application form and give information like Bank Account Information, PAN Number and Demat account information.
Customer receives an acknowledge slip with a reference number after the application is finished. Motilal Oswal takes care of the rest including locking the money in customer account and forwarding application to exchange.
Motilal Oswal Online IPO Application Process
Online Investing in IPO’s with Motilal Oswal is very easy, secure, fast and convenient way to invest in primary IPO’s at BSE and NSE.
Motilal Oswal Online IPO section offers following features:
- Place an Order – To put your bid on a specific IPO that is currently on offer.
- Check Order Status – This page can be used to watch the status of IPO’s applied in past.
- Modify Order – Customer can change the IPO bidding detail using this page.
- Available Funds -This page shows the amount of money that is available for investment in IPO.
- Money Transfer – This page helps in the transfer funds to your trading account from bank account.
Motilal Customers can choose to follow below steps to apply in an IPO through its website:
- Login to Motilal Oswal website.
- Jump to IPO section of the website.
- To apply in an IPO, click on Place an Order
- Accept the terms & conditions by clicking I Agree
- You will get a list of IPOs that are presently on offer.
- Click on Place Orderbutton located in front of the IPO of your interest.
- On the IPO bidding page, check:
- Total Available Funds
- Beneficiary Account Number (Demat Acct number)
- IPO Name
- Pick Investor Category(Retail or Non-Institutional).
- Fill in the quantity, priceand click on Confirm Order
- On Order Confirmation Screen, click on Confirm Orderbutton again.
- Allocated fund by click on Fund Hold & Release
- On next screen, validate your personal information and click Submit
- It is done. The customer will get an acknowledgement with an internal reference number.
Motilal Oswal Research
The full-service stockbroker, Motilal Oswal, is known to furnish more than 30,000 research reports that include 260 stocks encompassing 21 sectors through 40 types of diverse reports. Here’s a brief look at some of those reports to understand what this broker actually offers:
These reports are primarily related to the fundamentals of various companies features on different exchanges of India. In addition, these reports also have references of numerous economic events taking place at the state and country levels that can directly or indirectly influence specific sectors and corresponding company stocks. It makes logic to upkeep aninactive check on such reports on a daily basis.
As the name implies, these types of reports talk in detail about different sectors, what’s going on in these sectors, various government policies, market dynamics etc. Going through these reports may help you to comprehend what stocks may get affected in the short as well as in the long-term at both fundamental and technical stages.
Themantic reports are actually theme-based research-outputs that emerge from some of the updated events across industries and business domains. Moreover, there is a conversation on the different companies as well that would get the optimum impact.
Market Analysis Reports
These reports include multiple kinds of reports that get printedon a daily basis. Such reports include (but not restricted to) Market round-up, currency report etc. People wanting to perform intra-day trades may find these reports quite worthyas these can inform the trader towards sound trading decisions to be taken in the day.
Frankly, Motilal Oswal is a stock broker that is primarily meant traders and investors. So,if you are planning to make short-term profits or long-term investments, the broker can definitely be one of your possible options from research perspective. However, pricing is one area where more clarity is needed.
According to some reports, it has been found that its broker planes are not clear, and customer have levied certain types of unknown charges. This is where the broker needs to clarify its stand.
On customer service viewpoint, the broker is truly on a winning edge.